Black Sesame Soup or (芝麻糊), is a sweet dessert soup that is commonly enjoyed in many different Asian countries. By combining black sesame seeds with glutinous rice, water and sugar, it produces a soup that is undeniably delicious. Plus, it’s extremely quick and easy to make as well as being full of amazing health benefits. This is a dish that you will love for years to come.
Black Sesame Soup
Sometimes all you really want is a really nice delicious bowl of soup.
But not just any soup, in fact you are wanting dessert soup!
And one dessert soup that always brings a smile to my face is something called the “Black Sesame Soup” or 芝麻糊 in Chinese. It is a popular dish that can be found all throughout Asia and is one of the best tasting soups you can ever try.
The dish consists of black sesame seeds which are blended together with glutinous rice and water to form a nice sesame paste. It is then boiled and then simmered for a few short minutes and will produce a soup that is unbelievably delicious.
And because this soup is typically served hot, it is perfect for having to eat any time during the cold winter months. In fact, this soup is something my family always makes during the winter season because of just how perfect it pairs with the weather.
Each and every bite you get a nice hot nutty flavor that is also a bit sweet, all of which makes for a really enjoyable meal any time of the day.
I guarantee, once you try this dish, you will instantly be hooked.
What Is Black Sesame Seeds?
What is black sesame seeds you might ask?
Well for starters, black sesame seeds are from a flowering plant that is widely naturalized in tropical regions around the world and is cultivated for its edible seeds, which grow in pods.
Sesame itself has one of the highest oil contents of any seed in the world. It consists of a rich and nutty flavor that is absolutely delicious when eaten. It is also one of the most common ingredients found in cuisines all over the world.
Depending on what you use it for, the seeds can also be toasted or not toasted.
Typically, this ingredient can be found in almost every single supermarket you go to. It’s an ingredient where once you try it, you will instantly fall in love.
Why This Recipe Works?
- This dish is an incredibly healthy dish to eat. For instance, by eating this dish you’ll get healthy nutrients like Iron, magnesium, manganese, copper, calcium, vitamin B1, vitamin E, phytic acid, phytosterols and sesamin. All of which are beneficial for the body.
- This dish is simple and quick to make. For instance, aside from the soaking portion of the recipe which usually takes a few hours, the cooking process itself is only around 10 minutes.
- By coming sesame seeds with the glutinous rice and water, it combines to form one of the most delicious soups you’ll have ever tried. A little bit sweet while also being nutty, this is a dish that you will remember for years to come.
Ingredients To Make Black Sesame Soup
The ingredients you’ll need to make Black Sesame Soup Recipe / 芝麻糊 are all easily found at any of your local Asian supermarkets.
Basically, you’ll need the following:
- Black Sesame Seeds – 3/4 Cup of Black Sesame Seeds
- Glutinous Rice – 1/4 Cup of Glutinous Rice
- Rock Sugar- 1/4 Cup of Rock Sugar
- Water – 5 Cups of Water + Extra Water
How To Make Black Sesame Soup
Making the Black Sesame Soup Recipe / 芝麻糊 dish is a really simple thing to do. Although it does take some time to prepare.
Basically, the process to make this soup is as followed:
Prepping The Ingredients
Grab a bowl and pour in your dried glutinous rice. Then pour in about enough water into the bowl where it covers the glutinous rice and let it soak for a minimum of 6 hours. Preferably overnight.
While the glutinous rice is soaking, it’s time to toast the black sesame seeds.
Grab a large wok or skillet and pour your black sesame seeds inside. Then toast them over medium heat for a few minutes until they start to get fragrant. After that, turn off the heat and transfer the seeds into a bowl.
Now you just wait for the glutinous rice to be ready before you are ready to make the soup.
Making The Black Sesame Soup
Once your glutinous rice is fully soaked and ready, carefully drain the water from the rice. Then grab a blender and pour in your glutinous rice, black sesame seeds and 2 cups of water.
Blend the entire thing for about 4 to 5 minutes or until all of the ingredients are fully grinded into small bits.
Then grab a pot and pour the contents from the blender into the pot. Add another 3 cups of water and bring the pot to the stove where you turn on the heat to medium-high. Make sure to constantly stir it around so the bottom does not burn.
Once the contents of the pot starts to boil, turn the heat down to a low simmer and add in your rock sugar. 1/4 cup of Rock Sugar is the minimum, but you can adjust to your desired sweetness by adding more or less sugar.
Once you got your desired sweetness level, turn off the heat.
How To Store/Keep For Future Eating
If you ever find yourself having any leftovers of Black Sesame Soup Recipe / 芝麻糊, then do not worry. This dish is able to be easily stored inside of the refrigerator where you can enjoy it in the future whenever you are feeling hungry again.
For instance, if you want to store it in the fridge, then you can simply cover the soup with some plastic wrap or you can even put it inside an air-tight container. Then you can store it in the fridge where it’ll be good for up to 2 to 3 days.
As for freezing, this dish can also be easily frozen. With the same method, you can wrap it up or put it inside of an air-tight container, then store it in the freezer. The dish will be able to stay good for up to 1 month.
As for re-heating, simply bring it back to the stove top and heat it up over medium-high heat. Stir it around for awhile until it is nice and hot again. Then serve immediately.
FAQS About This Recipe
Of course! If you don’t have rock sugar on hand or just don’t want to use it, you can also use regular sugar as well. Just make sure to adjust the amount to your desired sweetness.
Typically for the most authentic flavors, you will want to use glutinous rice. However if you don’t have that, regular rice can also work but the flavor will be a bit different.
Typically you want to soak the glutinous rice for about 6 hours minimum. If possible, do it overnight so that when you wake up, you are able to start making it immediately.
Tips For Making The Best Black Sesame Soup
- Let the glutinous rice soak for as long as possible. This will ensure that that the rice will cook and absorb moisture evenly when you are ready to use it.
- Add enough water! The more water you add, the thinner the soup will be. This is really based on personal preferences, but for me, I like my soup to be very watery, so I tend to use more water.
- Add enough sugar! Black sesame seeds by themselves can leave a quite bitter taste when you eat them. You can make it taste better by adding sugar! The more sugar you add, the sweeter and less bitter the soup will be.
Black Sesame Soup Recipe (芝麻糊)
- 3/4 Cup Black Sesame Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Glutinous Rice
- 1/4 Cup Rock Sugar
- 5 Cup Water Plus Extra Water
Prepping The Ingredients
- Grab a wok or skillet and pour your black sesame seeds into it. Then bring it to the stove over medium heat and toast the black sesame seeds for around a few minutes or until fragrant. Once it's nicely toasted, turn off the heat and transfer the seeds into a bowl.Set it aside.
- Grab a bowl and pour in your glutinous rice. Then add water until it covers over the rice. Let it sit there and soak for a minimum of 6 hours. Best if you do this overnight.Then you just wait until the glutinous rice has fully soaked.
Cooking The Soup
- Once the glutinous rice has fully soaked for the minimum about of hours, drain the water from the glutinous rice.Grab a blender and pour in your glutinous rice, toasted black sesame seeds and also 2 cups of water. Blend everything together for around 4 to 5 minutes or until the seeds and rice become blended extremely finely.
- Grab a large pot and pour the contents from the blender into the pot. Then add in an extra 3 cups of water. Bring it to the stove over a medium-high heat and bring the mixture to a boil.Make sure to constantly stir the mixture so that the bottom does not burn!
- Once the mixture starts to boil, turn the heat down to a low simmer.Add in your rock sugar and stir things around until the rock sugar are completely dissolved.Cook for another minute or so and then turn off the heat.
- Serve immediately.
Did you try making my Black Sesame Soup Recipe / 芝麻糊? If so, how were they? I would love to hear all about it down in the comment section below or you can connect with my on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram.
Want more recipes? You can check out my site for more amazing recipes!