Braised Abalone With Mushrooms or 红烧鲍菇), is a classic dish typically served during special occasions in many Asian countries. It’s extremely healthy to eat and is full of nutritional benefits. By combining the tender and soft mushrooms with the chewy and firm abalone, you’ll get a dish that is truly spectacular.
Braised Abalone With Mushrooms
A dish that is always near and dear to my heart is one known as “Braised Abalone with Mushrooms”. This is a dish that is usually served in my family whenever it is a special occasion like my cousins wedding or even certain holidays.
It combines the essence of abalone with the tasty mushroom to produce a dish that is unbelievably good. Both the abalone and mushrooms are slow cooked inside of some chicken broth and seasonings which makes sure the flavors come out extra strong.
Every time this dish is made, I would always find myself trying to scoop up all of the abalone because they are just so delicious. I remember always getting yelled at for doing that, but it was so worth it!
The only problem I have with this dish is that it is quite expensive to have. The abalone depending on the size can range from expensive to out of this world expensive. Which is why, my family is only able to have this dish on very few occasions.
However if you ever do get your hands on some abalone, then this is one dish you absolutely must make!
What Is Abalone?
What is abalone you might ask?
Well for starters, it is considered to be a marine snail.
That might sound weird at first, but trust me, it is one of the most amazing and tasty things you’ll have ever tried. In fact, in many parts of Asia, abalone is actually considered a delicacy. Typically being served only during special occasions or holidays.
Because of this, Abalone is usually a very sought after ingredient where it can get pretty expensive depending on how big the abalone is that you are buying.
In fact, for this recipe we’re making today, I bought the smallest abalone that I could find because the larger versions were way out of my price range.
Now even though it is a delicacy, you should know that abalone doesn’t actually have much taste for flavor going on for it. In fact, it is mostly eaten for its texture, where each bite you’ll get a bit of firmness that makes for quite an enjoyable experience.
But one good thing about cooking with abalone is that it’ll usually take on the flavors of whatever sauce or ingredients you’ll pair with it.
Aside from that, if you were to go to a store to buy this ingredient, some stores might not actually have it. Especially with many Western stores, they typically do not carry this ingredient. However you can usually head to your local Asian supermarket where they sell these in masses.
Why This Recipe Works?
- This dish is extremely healthy to eat. By combining the nutritious mushrooms with the abalone, you’ll get a whole range of nutritional benefits that’ll be helpful to your body.
- This dish is incredibly simple and easy to make. All you have to do is to stir things around for a few minutes and then let it cook for a few hours without touching it. It can’t get easier than that!
- By cooking this dish low and slow, it’ll help soften the abalone and makes sure all of the flavors infuses together to make this dish taste out of this world.
Ingredients To Make Braised Abalone With Mushrooms
The ingredients you’ll need to make Braised Abalone With Mushrooms / 红烧鲍菇 can all be easily found at any of your local Asian supermarkets.
Basically, you’ll need the following:
Ingredients For Braised Abalone With Mushrooms:
- Shiitake Mushrooms – 100 grams of Shiitake Mushrooms
- Abalone – 2 Pounds of Abalone
- Garlic – 5 Cloves of Garlic (Minced)
- Ginger – 2 Slices of Ginger (Minced)
- Oyster Sauce – 2 Tablespoon of Oyster Sauce
- Shaoxing Rice Wine – 1 Tablespoon of Shaoxing Rice Wine
- Vegetable Oil – 3 Tablespoon of Vegetable Oil
- Sugar – 2 Tablespoon of Sugar
- Chicken Bouillon Powder – 1 Tablespoon of Chicken Bouillon Powder
- Chicken Broth – 4 Cups of Chicken Broth (Or you can use 2 cups chicken broth and 2 cups of water if you want a less saltier dish)
- Dark Soy Sauce – 1/2 Teaspoon Dark Soy Sauce
- Thai Chili Peppers – (Optional) 2 Thai Red Chili Peppers (Chopped)
(Optional) Bok Choy Side Dish Ingredients:
- Vegetable Oil – 1 Tablespoon of Vegetable Oil
- Salt – Just A Pinch of Salt
- Boy Choy – 1 Bunch of Bok Choy
How To Make Braised Abalone With Mushrooms
Making Braised Abalone With Mushrooms / 红烧鲍菇 is a very simple thing to do.
Basically, the process to make this dish is as followed:
Making The Dish
Grab a large wok and pour some oil into it over medium high heat.
Once the oil is hot enough, add in your minced garlic and ginger. Stir things around for a minute or so until things start to get fragrant.
(Optional) If you want it to be a bit spicy, you can even add in a few chopped Thai Chili Peppers too at this point.
Then add in your mushrooms and stir things around for a minute.
Now add in your abalone and continue to stir things around for another minute.
After that, add in all of your seasonings (Oyster Sauce, Shaoxing Rice Wine, Sugar, Chicken Bouillon Powder, Dark Soy Sauce). Then stir things around until everything is nicely combined.
Now pour in your chicken broth and bring the heat to high.
Once the broth starts to boil, lower the heat to a low simmer and cover the wok with a lid. Let it cook for around 4 hours minimum.
Once time is up, turn off the heat.
Making The Bok Choy Side Dish (Optional)
This step is totally optional, but if you want a great side item that pairs perfectly well with the Braised Abalone With Mushrooms dish, then Bok Choy is definitely the way to go.
First all you’ll have to do is to boil some water inside of a pot or wok. Once the water starts to boil, pour in some salt and oil. Then quickly blanch your bok choy inside of the water for a few minutes.
After a few minutes is up, turn off the heat and take out the bok choy.
It is ready to serve now.
How To Store/Keep This Dish For Future Eating
Storing this amazing Braised Abalone With Mushrooms / 红烧鲍菇 dish is actually a very simple thing to do.
Basically, all you’ll have to do is to simply wrap the dish up in some plastic wrap or you can even put it inside of an air-tight container. Then you can place it in the fridge where it should remain good for up to 3 days.
But even though you can keep it as long as 3 days, I would probably say eat it as fast as possible because this dish does contain seafood. So you don’t want it to sit out too long.
As for freezing, you can also freeze this dish pretty easily. With the same process and method as refrigerating, simply put it in an air-tight container and then you can freeze it for a few months.
FAQS About This Recipe
Abalone is more closely related to a marine snail.
Abalone can be most commonly found at any of your local Asian supermarkets. They are usually sold inside of the seafood isle either alive or frozen.
If you want to have your abalone become as tender as it can possibly be, try to use a mallet or something and pound the abalone for awhile until it becomes tenderized.
Tips To Make The Best Braised Abalone With Mushrooms Dish
- Cook it low and slow. The longer you cook this dish for, the more flavorful it’ll become. You’ll have the amazing flavors of the mushroom combining with the abalone for a really strong and delicious taste.
- Try not to add to much salt. The reason for this is because by adding the chicken broth as well as the abalone and sauces, the dish itself is already going to be salted pretty nicely. So if you add more salt to it, it might make it a bit too salty. So try not to add any extra salt if possible.
- Traditionally this dish is typically made with water as the base of the broth. However in this recipe, we are using chicken broth because it gives a more flavorful taste which matches perfectly well with the ingredients.
Braised Abalone With Mushrooms Recipe (红烧鲍菇)
Braised Abalone With Mushroom Ingredients
- 2 Lb Abalone
- 100 Gram Shiitake Mushroom
- 5 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 Slices Ginger Minced
- 2 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Shaoxing Rice Wine
- 3 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Chicken Bouillon Powder
- 4 Cup Chicken Broth (Low Sodium) Or you can use 2 cups chicken broth and 2 cups water.
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 Thai Chili Pepper (Optional) Chopped
Side Item Bok Choy Ingredients
- Vegetable Oil about 1 tablespoon
- Salt Just a pinch
- 1 Bunch Bok Choy
Making The Braised Abalone With Mushroom
- Grab a wok and heat up some oil over medium-high heat.Once the oil is hot enough, add in your minced garlic and ginger while stirring things around. Cook it around for 1 minute or until things get fragrant.(Optional) If you want the dish to be a bit spicy, then you can add in some chopped Thai Chili Peppers at this point too.
- Now add in your shiitake mushrooms and stir things around and cook it for around 1 to 2 minutes.Then add in your abalone and continue to stir things around and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Now add in all of your seasonings and sauces (Oyster Sauce, Shaoxing Rice Wine, Sugar, Chicken Bouillon Powder, and Dark Soy Sauce). Mix things around and stir until everything is nicely incorporated together.
- Pour in your chicken broth and stir things around real fast. Then turn the heat up to high and wait for it to boil.Once it starts to boil, lower the heat to a low simmer and then cover the wok with a lid. Let it cook for around 4 hours minimum.
- Once time is up, turn off the heat.Open the lid from the wok and then stir things around real fast.Then serve immediately.
(Optional) Making The Side Dish Bok Choy
- Grab a large wok or pot and pour some water inside it. Then bring it to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once the water starts to boil, add in a pinch of salt and stir things around.Then add in 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.Now put your bok choy into the water and stir things around for a bit. Let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes and then turn off the heat.Serve immediately.
Did you try making my Braised Abalone With Mushrooms / 红烧鲍菇? If so, how were they? I would love to hear all about it down in the comment section below or you can connect with my on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram.
Want more recipes? You can check out my site for more amazing recipes!