Chinese Tomato And Egg Stir-Fry or 番茄炒蛋, is a savory egg dish that is beloved by every Chinese family in the world. It utilizes eggs cooked together with juicy tomatoes and paired with some seasonings to help create one of the most delicious dishes ever made. Learn how to make this delicious dish in under 10 minutes with our simple guide!
Eggs are some of the most versatile ingredients ever.
And in any Asian country you visit, you’ll find that eggs play a really important role in the kitchen. Mainly because there are so many uses for it and also it produces some of the best dishes out there for people to try.
However there is one egg dish in particular that is probably the most famous and well known egg dish in all of Asia.
Known as the Chinese Tomato and Egg Stir Fry, it is a popular egg dish to make because of how simple it is as well as being a really fast dish to cook. And here in China, this dish is exceedingly popular as there are many different ways you can make this dish.
But the end result typically is the same as no matter where you visit, the tomato and egg stir-fry dish will always be delicious.
But besides that however, there is also a funny story tied in with this dish. In fact, back in the 2016 Olympics, China debuted a uniform that was in the color of red and yellow. This uniform was mocked by people all over China as they proclaimed it as looking like Tomato and Egg Stir-Fry.
What Is Chinese Tomato And Egg Stir-Fry?
What is Chinese Tomato And Egg Stir-Fry / 番茄炒蛋 you might ask?
Well for starters, this dish is one of the most common dishes found in all of Asia. In fact, it’s almost guaranteed that almost every single Chinese family will know how to make this dish.
It’s a very simple dish to make that takes very little time and produces a heaping amount of flavor and taste.
Now depending on where in Asia we are talking about, there are many different ways to make this dish. However the staple ingredients are normally all the same.
Basically the dish consists of eggs cooked to a scrambled consistency then mixed in with cooked tomatoes to produce a dish that is out of this world.
It’s a dish that everyone will love once they taste just how amazing this egg dish really is.
Ingredients To Make Chinese Tomato And Egg Stir-Fry
The ingredients you’ll need to make Chinese Tomato And Egg Stir-Fry / 番茄炒蛋 are all very simple to find.
Basically, you’ll need the following:
- Eggs – 3 Large Eggs
- Tomatoes – 3 Medium Tomatoes
- Water – 1/4 Cup Water
- Sugar – 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- Salt – 1/2 Teaspoon
- Ground White Pepper – 1/2 Teaspoon
- Sesame Oil – 1/2 Teaspoon (Optional)
- Green Onions – 1 Stalk of Green Onion Chopped Into Small Pieces (Optional)
And that’s basically it!
How To Make Chinese Tomato And Egg Stir-Fry
Making this Chinese Tomato And Egg Stir-Fry / 番茄炒蛋 dish is a very simple thing to do.
The process to make this dish is as followed:
Prepping The Ingredients
First, grab a chopping board and slice your tomatoes into small wedges.
Then set them aside.
Now grab a bowl and crack your three eggs into the bowl. Season it with 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Then whisk it around until everything is incorporated together.
Then set it aside.
(Optional) If you want, you can also chop some green onions into small pieces to use with the dish.
Other than that, it’s time to make the dish.
Cooking The Tomato and Eggs Stir-Fry Dish
Grab a large wok or a skillet doesn’t matter which, and pour some oil into it over medium-high heat.
Once the oil is hot enough, pour your egg mixture into the wok or skillet and cook it around into a scrambled consistency.
Once the eggs are scrambled, transfer them to a plate and set it aside.
Into the same wok or skillet, pour some more oil into it.
Then once the oil is hot enough, pour in your tomatoes and chopped green onions.
Stir things around for a minute or so and then you’ll want to add in your sugar, remaining 1/4 salt, and 1/4 cup of water.
Stir things around for a few seconds.
Then pour back in your scrambled eggs and top it off with some sesame oil.
Stir things around for another minute or so or until the tomatoes have become softened. Then you can turn off the heat.
Transfer the contents onto a plate and serve.
How To Keep/Store For Future Use
If somehow you are not able to finish the entire Chinese Tomato And Egg Stir-Fry / 番茄炒蛋 dish and want to save it for the next day or the day after, then you’ll be pleased to know that this dish is a great dish to store for future eating.
Basically all you’ll have to do is to wrap the dish up with some plastic wrap or store it in an air-tight container and pop it in the fridge. It should stay good for up to 3 days at most.
But I can pretty much guarantee you will almost never have any leftovers from how good this dish will be.
As for re-heating this dish, simply put the contents back onto a skillet over medium-high heat and cook it for about 1 to 2 minutes or until hot. Then it should be ready to eat.
Chinese Tomato And Egg Stir-Fry Recipe (番茄炒蛋)
- 3 Large Egg
- 3 Medium Tomato
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground White Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1 Stalk Green Onions Chopped into smaller pieces.
Prepping The Ingredients
- Grab a cutting board, and use a knife to chop the tomatoes into small wedges. Then set it aside.
- Grab a bowl and crack your three eggs into it. Then season it with your 1/2 teaspoon of ground white pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Whisk everything together until everything is incorporated nicely.Then set it aside.
- (Optional) Grab your green onion and chop it into tiny pieces. Then set it aside.
Making The Dish
- Grab aa large wok or a skillet and pour some oil into it over medium-high heat.Once the oil is hot enough, add in your egg mixture and cook it into a scrambled consistency.Once it is scrambled, transfer the scrambled eggs onto a plate and set it aside.
- Into the same wok or skillet, add some more oil.Once the oil is hot enough, add in your chopped tomatoes and chopped green onions and stir things around for a minute or so.
- Now add in your teaspoon of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 cup of water into the wok or skillet. Stir things around and then add back in your scrambled eggs and season it with some 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil.
- Stir things around for another minute or so or until the tomatoes have become really soft.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the contents onto a plate.Serve immediately.
Did you try making my Chinese Tomato And Egg Stir-Fry / 番茄炒蛋? If so, how were they? I would love to hear all about it down in the comment section below or you can connect with my on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram.
Want more recipes? You can check out my site for more amazing recipes!