Chinese Watercress Soup or 西洋菜汤, is one of the most popular and simplest Chinese soups you can ever make. Incredibly nutritious and bursting with flavor, this is one soup that will definitely brighten up your day. Simply add everything into a pot and within 30 minutes, you and your family will be able to enjoy this amazing soup.
Chinese Watercress Soup
Chinese Watercress Soup is one of those foods that is a staple in any Chinese households. Especially with my family, as this is our soup of choice for whenever we are all feeling tired. After all, it is one of the simplest soups you can ever make that is also bursting with tons of flavor.
Now there are many different ways you can go to make this soup, but most of it is basically the same. It all revolves around tossing in various kinds of ingredients into the broth and letting it cook to perfection.
This recipe that I am showing you today is purely revolving around vegetables. And I am using some of the most common vegetables you can ever find to make this soup. Carrots, Tofu, Shiitake Mushrooms, Ginger and more are all being used to create this dish.
Now there are some versions which have meat inside like pork ribs and more, but that is totally optional. I find that the vegetable version is better tasting and definitely heartier too.
In the end, I guarantee you that once you try this recipe, you will instantly be hooked for years to come.
What Is Watercress?
What is watercress you might ask?
Well for starters, watercress is a leafy, dark green vegetable that is commonly found in many natural spring waters. Historically, watercress have been commonly used as a garnish. However in many places, it has seen a resurgence in popularity as being a sort of a superfood.
Watercress is also a very healthy and nutritious vegetable to eat. In fact, according to Healthline, some of the nutrients provided by this vegetable includes:
- Fiber: 0.2 grams
- Vitamin A: 22% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI)
- Vitamin C: 24% of the RDI
- Calcium: 4% of the RDI
- Vitamin K: 106% of the RDI
- Manganese: 4% of the RDI
Aside from that, it is also used in a variety of dishes too, particularly in the Asian countries.
Whatever the case may be, this is one vegetable you definitely got to try.
Why This Recipe Works?
- This recipe is incredibly healthy. By using a wide variety of vegetables like carrots, tofu, mushrooms, dates and more, it provides a whole bunch of nutritional benefits to your body.
- This soup is incredibly simple and easy to make. In fact, all you really need is around 30 minutes and you’ll be able to make a big pot full of this soup.
- This is one dish that you and your entire family will love and make for years to come. It’s incredibly flavorful and packed with tons of vegetables and seasonings. Each and every bite will be a dream come true.
Ingredients To Make Chinese Watercress Soup
The ingredients you’ll need to make Chinese Watercress Soup / 西洋菜汤 are all easily found at any of your local Asian supermarkets.
Basically, you will nee the following:
- Watercress – 1 Bunch of Watercress (End parts cut off)
- Water or Chicken Broth – 8 Cups of Water or Chicken Broth (Either one will work)
In this recipe, we will be using Chicken Broth, but you can use water if you want to.
- Shiitake Mushrooms – 6 Shiitake Mushrooms Sliced Into Thin Slices
- Carrots – 2 Carrots Chopped Up Into Tiny Pieces
- Tofu – 1 Block of Tofu Chopped Up Into Tiny Pieces
- Ginger – 3 Thin Slices of Ginger
- Honey Dates – 2 Pieces of Honey Dates
- Salt – 1 Teaspoon of Salt
- Ground White Pepper – 1 Teaspoon of Ground White Pepper
Optional Ingredients: Chicken Bouillon Powder
How To Make Chinese Watercress Soup
Making Chinese Watercress Soup / 西洋菜汤 is a very simple thing to do.
Basically, to make this soup you’ll need to do the following:
Making The Chinese Watercress Soup
Pour your chicken broth into a large pot and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat.
Once the broth is boiling, add in your chopped mushrooms, carrots, tofu, ginger, honey dates and seasonings(salt, ground white pepper). Then bring the heat down to a low simmer. Let it cook this way for about 20 minutes.
Optional: You can add in some chicken bouillon powder for extra flavor.
Once time is up, add in your watercress and stir things around. Continue to let it simmer on low heat for another 10 minutes.
Then turn off the heat.
You have just made Chinese Watercress Soup!
How To Store/Keep This Dish For Future Eating
One of the best things about this Chinese Watercress Soup / 西洋菜汤 is that it is easily able to be stored for future eating.
For instance, if you have any leftovers remaining, you can simply cover it up with some plastic wrap or you can even pour it inside of an air-tight container. Then you can store it inside the fridge where it should be good for up to 3 days.
As for freezing, you should be happy to know that this soup is also able to be frozen very easily as well. With the same methods, you can store the soup inside of an air-tight container and then place it in the freezer. Then it will remain good there for up to three months.
As for re-heating, whenever you are ready to eat the soup again, simply take it out of the fridge or freezer and then place it onto the stove. Cook it over medium-high heat for a few minutes or until the soup is nice and hot again. Then you are ready to serve.
FAQS About This Recipe
Typically you can find watercress being sold at most Asian supermarkets. They are usually sold in the vegetable section and are pretty cheap to buy.
The best thing about this soup is that it is incredibly versatile. Meaning if you want to add more ingredients, then you are certainly free to do so. Vice-versa if you are wanting to use less ingredients, you can do so as well.
Typically the longer you cook the vegetables, the softer they become. In this recipe, we will cook the vegetables for about 20 minutes so that the carrots and mushrooms will be able to be soft enough to eat. Only the last 10 minutes should you put in the watercress as if you put it in too early, it will overcook and won’t be as good anymore.
Tips To Make The Best Chinese Watercress Soup
- Use Chicken Broth as the main liquid for the soup. Typically water is used alone to make this soup, but I found out that using Chicken Broth helps provide a much richer and deeper flavor for the soup.
- Use Honey Dates instead of regular dates as they help provide a sense of sweetness to the entire soup. It’s not too strong and just enough where the soup will come out extremely flavorful.
- Cook it low and slow. By letting your soup cook for a long period of time, it guarantees that the flavors of the ingredients will marinate together and bring out something that is simply spectacular.
Chinese Watercress Soup Recipe (西洋菜汤)
- 1 Bunch Watercress
- 8 Cup Water or Chicken Broth Either one works
- 6 Pieces Shiitake Mushroom Sliced into thin strips
- 2 Sticks Carrot Chopped into tiny pieces
- 1 Lb Tofu Chopped into tiny pieces
- 2 Pieces Honey Dates
- 3 Slices Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Ground White Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Chicken Bouillon Powder Optional
- Pour your chicken broth or water into a large pot. Then bring it to a boil.
- Once it starts to boil, add in your chopped carrots, sliced shiitake mushrooms, chopped tofu, honey dates, and ginger slices. Then season it with some salt and ground white pepper.Optional: You can add in 1 tablespoon of chicken bouillon powder if you want for extra flavor.Lower the heat to a low simmer and let it cook for around 20 minutes.
- After time is up, add in your watercress and stir things around. Then let it continue to simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Once time is up, turn off the heat.Serve immediately.
Did you try making my Chinese Watercress Soup / 西洋菜汤? If so, how were they? I would love to hear all about it down in the comment section below or you can connect with my on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram.
Want more recipes? You can check out my site for more amazing recipes!