Drunken Noodles or Pad Kee Mao is a staple food dish found all over Thailand. It is extremely simple to make and is filled with amazing ingredients like chicken and veggies that will produce a dish that is out of this world. It’s the perfect meal to have any time of the day!
Have you all ever tried noodles that can make you drunk before?
Cause I definitely haven’t, and I’m sure there isn’t a food out there that can actually do that.
However, there is one food which is called “Drunken Noodles”, which many people actually think will be able to get you drunk. Which obviously isn’t true, but is still a funny thing to think about.
Drunken Noodles or their Thai name “Pad Kee Mao”, is a popular dish found in many Thai restaurants. It’s a spicy dish that consists of chicken and veggies that is then combined with noodles for a flavorful bite.
Every time my friends and I go to a Thai restaurant, this is one dish we always decide to get. Mainly because we always want to see who can get drunk from this dish. And by that, we mean who will be the first to act drunk from the spiciness of this dish..
Depending on which restaurant you order this at, this dish can either be mild in spice to crazy overwhelming spice which can definitely make you act or feel drunk if eaten too much.
At the end of the day however, this is one dish that is always fun to have and will definitely be the center of attention around you and your friends or family.
Can It Really Make You Drunk?
With a name called “Drunken Noodles”, one might expect that this dish will either make you drunk or be filled with a bunch of alcohol.
However, both of which are simply untrue.
Drunken Noodles won’t actually make you drunk when you eat this dish. In fact, there is no alcohol involved what so ever.
The name simply stems from the heat of this dish which is actually pretty spicy. Now there are many theories about this dish, but one of the most common is that the dish is so spicy that it’ll make you feel drunk.
Another popular theory is that when you’re eating this dish, it’ll be so spicy that you’ll have to drink a ton of beers just to cool down, which in turn will make you drunk.
But at the end of the day, it’s a really delicious dish that won’t make you drunk at all. Although I can’t say much about how the spiciness will affect people because everyone is different!
Why This Recipe Works?
- This dish is extremely simple and easy to make. All you really need is about 30 to 40 minutes of your time and you’ll be able to make a dish that is out of this world.
- This dish is very healthy to eat. It has both proteins and vegetables that combines together for a very nutritional dish that everyone will love.
- By marinating your chicken for a short while, you are making sure your chicken becomes extra flavorful and juicy once cooked.
Ingredients To Make Drunken Noodles
The ingredients you’ll need to make Drunken Noodles / Pad Kee Mao can all easily be found at any of your local Asian supermarkets.
The ingredients you’ll need are as followed:
- Wide Rice Noodles – 200g Wide Rice Noodles (Dry or Fresh)
Chicken and Marinade:
- Chicken Thigh – 250g of Chicken Thigh Meat Cut Into Tiny Pieces
- Soy Sauce – 1 Tablespoon of Soy Sauce
- Corn Starch – 1/2 Tablespoon of Corn Starch
- Oyster Sauce = 1 Tablespoon of Oyster Sauce
- Light Soy Sauce – 1 Tablespoon of Light Soy Sauce
- Dark Soy Sauce – 1/2 Tablespoon of Dark Soy Sauce
- Brown Sugar – 2 Teaspoon of Brown Sugar
- Fish Sauce – 1 Tablespoon of Fish Sauce
- Vegetable Oil – 2 Tablespoon of Vegetable Oil
- Garlic – 3 Cloves of Garlic (Minced)
- Thai Chili Pepper – 2 Thai Chili Peppers (Chopped)
- Shallot – 1 Large Shallot or 2 Small Shallots (Minced)
- Green Onions – 3 to 4 Sticks of Green Onions (Chopped)
- Ground White Pepper – 1/2 Teaspoon of Ground White Pepper
- Thai Basil Leaves – 1 Cup of Thai Basil Leaves
- Baby Corn – 1/3 Cup of Baby Corn
How To Make Drunken Noodles
Making Drunken Noodles / Pad Kee Mao are a very simple thing to do.
Basically, the process to make this dish is as followed:
Marinating The Chicken
First thing you’ll want to do is to marinate your chicken pieces.
Grab a small bowl and put your chicken pieces inside. Then add in your soy sauce and cornstarch. Mix everything together until everything is nicely combined.
Let it marinate and rest for around 30 minutes to an hour.
Then it’ll be ready to use.
Cooking The Noodles
Now cooking the noodles will depend greatly on what type of noodles you buy. So follow the instructions on the back of the package so that your noodles will be cooked to perfection.
Although for most dry rice noodles, you’ll typically need to boil some water in a pot. Then once the water is boiling, you put in your dry noodles and let it cook for around 6 to 8 minutes.
Once your noodles are fully cooked, drain the water and set it aside.
Prepping The Sauce
Grab a small bowl, and add in your oyster sauce, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, brown sugar and fish sauce.
Mix things around until everything is nicely mixed together, then set it aside.
Making The Drunken Noodles Dish
Now that you have prepped your chicken and noodles, it’s time to make this dish.
Grab a large pan or skillet and pour some oil into it over medium-high heat.
Once the oil is hot enough, add in your marinated chicken and cook it around for a few minutes. What you’re trying to look for is that you want to cook the chicken about 80%-90% through.
Once they are ready, turn off the heat and transfer then to a plate to be set aside.
Now grab another pan, skillet or wok and pour some more oil into it over medium-high heat.
Once the oil is hot enough, add in your minced garlic and chopped Thai chili peppers. Stir things around for a minute or so or until fragrant.
Then add in your diced shallot and stir things around. Let it cook for about a minute.
Now add in your Thai basil leaves, chopped green onions, and baby corn.
Stir things around again and let it cook for about another minute.
Then add in your noodles and stir things around for a few seconds.
Add in your sauce that you made earlier. This will give your noodles some of that dark coloring that you love to see.
Immediately season with some ground white pepper.
Now grab the cooked chicken you have just made and put them all back into the pan or skillet to cook with the noodles.
Stir everything together and let it cook for about another minute or so.
Then turn off the heat.
It is ready to serve immediately.
How To Store/Keep For Future Eating
Storing these Drunken Noodles / Pad Kee Mao are a really simple thing to do.
Basically, if you have any leftovers remaining, all you’ll have to do is to simply wrap the dish up with some plastic wrap or just put it in an air-tight container. Then you can place it inside of the fridge where it should be good for up to 3 days.
As for freezing, you can also freeze this dish very easily as well. However I guarantee you most likely won’t need to as you’ll definitely finish this dish immediately. But on the off chance that you do want to freeze this dish, then just put it in an air tight container and then you can put it in the freezer. They should keep well for up to 2 months.
As for re-heating, simply cook it around in a pan over medium-heat until it is nice and hot again. Then you can eat it as if it was new.
FAQS About This Recipe
You can typically find rice noodles either fresh or dried at any of your local Asian supermarkets. Try not to go to a western supermarket if possible as they’ll usually sell this item at a higher price than Asian markets.
Of course! Although chicken is the traditional way to make this recipe, but if you want to use something else, you can use pork, beef, shrimp or anything else that you want.
Yes! This dish is very versatile. You can add any type of vegetable that you want. In fact, one of the most common is Chinese broccoli or even spinach! Both of which will work perfectly well with this dish.
Tips For Making The Best Drunken Noodles
- Make sure to cook your rice noodles according to the packages instructions. Don’t overcook the noodles as that’ll make them too mushy to eat with.
- By marinating the chicken first, it’ll help make them much more flavorful and delicious. And by using chicken thighs instead of other parts of the chicken, you’ll ensure that the meat will be much more juicy and flavorful.
- This dish is a very versatile dish to make. You can basically add whatever it is you want into this dish to make it delicious. My personal favorite thing to do is to simply add more vegetables to help beef up the dish. Some of the most common includes Chinese broccoli, spinach, peppers and more.
Drunken Noodles Recipe (Pad Kee Mao)
- 200 Gram Wide Rice Noodle
Chicken and Marinade Ingredients
- 250 Gram Chicken Thigh Chopped Into Tiny Pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon Corn Starch
- 1 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 Teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 2 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 3 Clove Garlic Minced
- 2 Thai Chili Pepper Chopped Into Small Pieces
- 1 Large Shallot Minced
- 2 Sticks Green Onion Chopped Into Small Pieces
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground White Pepper
- 1 Cup Thai Basil Leaves
- 1/3 Cup Baby Corn
Prepping The Chicken
- Grab a small bowl and add in your chicken thigh pieces.Then add in the 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce and 1/2 tablespoon of corn starch and mix everything around until all the chicken pieces are nicely coated together.Then set it aside and let it marinade and rest for about 30 minutes.
Prepping The Noodles
- Follow the packages instructions on how to properly cook your rice noodles.Depending on which package you bought, the instructions may be different.Once you cooked the noodles, drain the water from the noodles and set it aside.
Prepping The Sauce
- Grab a small bowl and add in your 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce, 1/2 tablespoon of dark soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of fish sauce, 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce, and 2 teaspoons of brown sugar.Then mix everything together and set it aside.
Making The Drunken Noodles Dish
- Grab a skillet or pan or a wok and pour about 2 to 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil into it over medium-high heat.Once the oil is hot enough, add in your marinated chicken and cook it around until it is mostly cooked. You want to sear the chicken for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until they are almost fully cooked.After they are almost fully cooked, turn off the heat and set the chicken aside.
- Clean the pan or wok or just grab another clean wok or pan.Then pour another 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil into it over medium-high heat.Once the oil is hot enough, add in your minced garlic and chopped Thai chili peppers. Then stir things around for a minute or until things are fragrant.
- Now add in your minced shallots and stir things around for 1 minute.Then add in your baby corn, chopped green onions, and Thai basil leaves. Stir everything around for about 30 seconds.Then add in your noodles that you have just cooked. Stir things around for a few seconds.Now pour in the sauce that you have just made onto the noodles. Stir everything around and let it cook for about 1 minute.
- Season with about a 1/2 teaspoon of ground white pepper.Then add in your chicken thighs that you have recently just cooked and stir everything around for 1 minute.Now turn off the heat.
- Serve immediately.
Did you try making my Drunken Noodles / Pad Kee Mao? If so, how were they? I would love to hear all about it down in the comment section below or you can connect with my on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram.
Want more recipes? You can check out my site for more amazing recipes!