Steamed Pork Ribs with Black Bean Sauce or (豉汁蒸排骨), is a classic Dim Sum/Yum Cha dish that is highly favorited by any and all families who try it. Soft and tender pork ribs combined with a flavorful black bean sauce brings together one of the best bites you’ll ever have. It’s simple and easy to make and will definitely bring a smile to your families faces.
Steamed Pork Ribs With Black Bean Sauce
One of my favorite dishes to ever get at any Dim Sum/Yum Cha restaurant is definitely the Steamed Pork Ribs with Black Bean Sauce.
Every time my family and I see the cart lady pushing around the food cart, we always make sure to check if the cart carried these delicious pork ribs. And if they did, “OH BOY”, you can bet we are going to be jumping on it immediately.
It is one of the quintessential food dishes that everyone must order if they ever visit a Dim sum/Yum Cha restaurant. Along with things such as Chinese Broccoli with Oyster Sauce, Chinese Dumplings, Turnip Cake, Sticky Rice with Chinese Sausage and more, these items are a must-have if you ever go to any of these restaurants.
The only problem that I have when I go to these restaurants is that often times the portion sizes are amazingly small. In fact, whenever I order these pork ribs from them, they give me this small dish with only 4 to 5 small pieces of pork ribs. And to make it worse is that the dish costs around $6 to 7 dollars.
Which is why, I usually prefer to make this dish at home.
When I make it at home, I can usually make this dish in large batches which will be perfectly enough to feed my entire family. Plus, I get to add all the seasonings and flavors to it that I want which will make it taste absolutely fantastic.
Not to mention that it is also extremely simple and quick to make.
Each pork rib that you make will be extremely soft, tender and bursting with flavor. This will be a dish that you will remember for many years to come.
What Is Steamed Pork Ribs With Black Bean Sauce?
What is Steamed Pork Ribs With Black Bean Sauce / 豉汁蒸排骨 you might ask?
Well for starters, it is one of the most popular dishes you can ever find inside any Dim Sum (Yum Cha) restaurant. Families will literally fight over this dish as it is being carted around as it is just that delicious.
The dish basically consists of pork spare ribs that have been cut up, smothered in a delicious and flavorful marinade, and is then steamed to perfection. The key thing about this dish is the marinade however as it is using black beans as the star of the dish.
The addition of black beans to the pork spare ribs help give it a bit of a salty texture while also being sweet and somewhat bitter in flavor. When mixed all together, it is a wonderful dish to enjoy.
Typically in most restaurants, when you bite into the meat, the texture is somewhat chewy while also flavorful. It’s not the softest thing you’ll see because in restaurants they don’t have the time to steam it for so long in mass amounts.
But if you’re making this dish at home, you can steam it for a longer amount of time to make the meat ever so soft and delicious. It’s one the perks of making this dish at your own home.
Using Pre-Made or Whole Black Beans?
In all honesty, this is really a personal preference.
Some people like to use whole black beans while some like to use the pre-made sauce version. Both of which are similar, but the whole black beans is typically the more authentic route to go.
However one problem is that if you are living in an area with very few Asian stores, the chances of you finding Chinese black beans, might be a bit hard to do. Which is why a lot of people tend to use the pre-made sauce that comes in a jar because it is easier to find.
Now if you can get your hands on some real whole Chinese black beans, then that would be amazing! But if you can’t, then the jar version will work just as well.
Why This Recipe Works?
- By allowing your pork ribs to marinate for a longer amount of time, you are ensuring it draws it in the deep rich flavors of the seasonings. This will make your ribs taste much better after steaming once you decide to eat it.
- By steaming this dish for a longer amount of time, you are making sure your ribs become as soft as they can be. In fact, the longer you steam your dish for, the softer they become. Which is why 20 minutes is the bare minimum while an hour is the maximum.
- This recipe is also much simpler to make because it uses pre-made black bean sauce that comes in a jar. This is better because regular Chinese black beans are a bit hard to find in markets outside of Asian supermarkets. So using the jar version is much more preferred.
Ingredients To Make Steamed Pork Ribs With Black Bean Sauce
Then ingredients you’ll need to make this Steamed Pork Ribs With Black Bean Sauce / 豉汁蒸排骨 dish can all be found at any of your local Asian supermarkets.
Basically, you’ll need the following:
- Pork Spare Ribs – 2 Lbs of Pork Spare Ribs Cut Into Tiny Chunks
- Black Bean Garlic Sauce – 2 Tablespoon of Black Bean Garlic Sauce
- Chicken Bouillon Powder – 1 Tablespoon of Chicken Bouillon Powder
- Shaoxing Wine – 1 Tablespoon of Shaoxing Wine
- Vegetable Oil – 1 Tablespoon of Vegetable Oil
- Cornstarch – 2 Tablespoon of Cornstarch
- Salt – 1/4 Teaspoon of Salt
- Ground White Pepper – 1/2 Teaspoon of Ground White pepper
- Sesame Oil – 1 Teaspoon
- Garlic – 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
Additional (Optional) Ingredients:
- Thai Chili Peppers – 2 Thai Chili Peppers Chopped Into Small Pieces
- Green Onions – 2 Sticks of Green Onions Chopped
How To Make Steamed Pork Ribs With Black Bean Sauce
Making Steamed Pork Ribs With Black Bean Sauce / 豉汁蒸排骨 is a relatively simple thing to do that doesn’t take long at all.
Basically, the process to make this dish is as followed:
Marinating The Dish
The first step is to properly clean your pork spare ribs. So rinse the ribs under water for a few minutes until they are nice and clean. Then pat them dry with a napkin.
After that, grab a large mixing bowl, and put your pork ribs into the bowl. Then you want to add all of your marinating ingredients into the bowl (black bean garlic sauce, chicken bouillon powder, shaoxing wine, vegetable oil, cornstarch, salt, sugar, ground white pepper, sesame oil, garlic.)
Optional: If you want to add a bit of spice to the ribs, you can add in a few chopped up Thai chili peppers into the marinade.
Then give it a really good mix until everything is nicely combined and incorporated with each other.
Cover the bowl with a paper napkin, and then let it sit there for about 30 minutes minimum. Although if you can let it marinade longer, then that’ll be best (1 hour preferably).
Steaming The Dish
Once time is up and your pork ribs have finished marinating, it’s time to start steaming.
Transfer the pork ribs to a bowl that is heat-proof and won’t break during the steaming process.
Then grab a large wok and fill it with some water. Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat. Once the water starts to boil, put your steamer basket inside the water and then put your bowl with pork ribs inside the steamer basket.
Close the lid on your steamer basket and let it steam for around 20 minutes minimum to an hour maximum.
Note: 20 minutes is the bare minimum and will provide a chewy consistency. If you steam it for an hour, the meat will literally be super soft and tender. So choose your preference.
Once time is up, turn off the heat.
Remove the cover from the steamer basket and you’ll see your beautiful dish of steamed pork ribs with black bean sauce that you have just made.
Give it a few minutes to cool down, and then garnish it with a bit of chopped green onions and serve.
How To Store/Keep For Future Eating
Storing the Steamed Pork Ribs With Black Bean Sauce / 豉汁蒸排骨 dish is a really simple thing to do.
Basically, once you are done eating and have some leftovers, then do not worry. All you’ll have to do is to simply cover it up with some plastic wrap or store it inside an air-tight container. Then you can place it inside of the fridge where it’ll stay good for up to 3 days.
Or if you want to store them for a longer duration, you can try freezing them as well. Simply place the spare ribs inside of some air-tight containers and then you can place it in the freezer. They should stay good for up to 3 months.
As for re-heating, the method is generally the same. You can first prep your steamer and once it is nice and hot, steam your frozen or cold spare ribs until they become nice and hot again. You can also user a microwave if you want, but it might change the texture and consistency of the spare ribs a bit.
FAQS About This Recipe
Typically you should steam this dish for about 20 minutes. That should be enough time to fully cook the pork ribs as well as giving it a nice texture and taste. Although if you want the meat to be even more softer, you can steam for longer if you want. The longer you steam, the softer it’ll become.
There are many brands of black bean garlic sauce out there. However the most popular one is definitely the brand called “Lee Kum Kee”, which can be found in any Asian supermarkets.
Tips For Making The Best Steamed Pork Ribs With Black Bean Sauce
- Before you start marinating or cooking your pork ribs, let it get to room temperature first. This will give you the best results. The reason is when meat gets cooked cold, the texture and consistency will be much more different.
- Make sure to let your pork ribs marinate for some time. The longer you let your pork ribs marinate, the deeper and richer the flavor will become.
- If you are looking for a spicier taste, add in some chopped Thai chili peppers during the marinating process. This will give your dish the kick that you’re looking for.
- Make sure to use a heat-proof safe dish for steaming. You don’t want your dish to break during the steaming process now would you?
Steamed Pork Ribs With Black Bean Sauce Recipe (豉汁蒸排骨)
- 2 Lb Pork Spare Ribs Cut into small chunks
- 2 Tablespoon Black Bean Garlic Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon chicken Bouillon Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Shaoxing Wine
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground White Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
Additional (Optional) Ingredients
- 2 Thai Chili Peppers Chopped
- 2 Sticks Green Onion Chopped
Marinating Your Ribs
- First thing you'll want to do is to clean your pork spare ribs. So turn on the water and rinse your ribs thoroughly until they are clean. Then pat them dry with a napkin.Grab a large mixing bowl and add in your pork spare ribs. Then add all of your marinade ingredients (black bean garlic sauce, chicken bouillon powder, shaoxing wine, vegetable oil, cornstarch, salt, sugar, ground white pepper, sesame oil, garlic.)Note: If you want it a bit spicy, you can also add in some chopped Thai Chili Peppers.
- Mix the contents around until all of the pork ribs have been nicely mixed with the seasonings.Then grab a napkin and cover the bowl. Let it rest for around 30 minutes minimum.Note: If you can, try to let it rest for a longer period of time, although this is optional.
Steaming Your Ribs
- Now it's time to steam your ribs.Note: You can use your favorite steaming method for this section.
- I will be showing you how to steam these ribs in a wok and a steamer basket. Transfer your marinated ribs into a heat-proof bowl. Then transfer the bowl into a steamer basket.Grab a large wok and fill it with some water and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Once the water is boiling, transfer your steamer basket with the pork ribs onto the water. Cover the lid.
- Let it steam for about 20 minutes to an hour.20 minutes for the bare minimum where you'll get a chewy type of texture.1 Hour for the maximum where you'll get super soft and tender ribs.Basically the longer you steam your ribs for, the softer the ribs become.
- Once you have finished steaming the ribs, turn off the heat.Remove the cover and let the ribs cool down for a few minutes.
- Garnish with some chopped green onions and serve.
Did you try making my Steamed Pork Ribs With Black Bean Sauce / 豉汁蒸排骨? If so, how were they? I would love to hear all about it down in the comment section below or you can connect with my on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram.
Want more recipes? You can check out my site for more amazing recipes!