Sticky Rice With Chinese Sausage is a savory dish that is commonly eaten during special times. It’s extremely sticky and has an abundance of flavors that make it a favorite among those who try it. Learn how to make this extremely simple dish just in time for the holidays.
Every time a special holiday comes around or if we ever go out to eat at one of the many Dim Sum restaurants in the area, one popular dish we love to have is something called “Sticky Rice With Chinese Sausage”.
This is a dish that is favored by my family and friends as it provides you with all the nutritional benefits you can ever want.
It’s also incredibly delicious.
In fact, whenever we order this dish, we always tend to order multiple orders of this just so that we can have seconds or thirds.
But ordering at these places does have their downsides as well.
Most of the time, these restaurants tend to skimp out on the ingredients. They’ll use less of the delicious components and just pack in more rice. Not to mention that they also charge people an arm and a leg just to serve this dish.
If you make it at home however, you’ll find that this dish is extremely cheap to make and you’re able to add in as much ingredients as you can possibly want.
Which is why I want to show you this amazing recipe. Hopefully once you try it, you will fall in love with it and make it as many times as you want.
What Is Sticky Rice?
What is Sticky Rice With Chinese Sausage / 腊味糯米饭 you might ask?
Well its basically exactly how it sounds.
It’s sweet/glutinous rice that is cooked and combined together with Chinese Sausage as well as some other ingredients. All of which makes for a dish that is undeniably delicious.
Depending on which restaurant or store you go to, many of them will have their own versions of this dish. Most commonly enough however is that it will usually have Chinese Sausage and Dried Shrimp.
Some locations may even have toasted peanuts included as well, however most tend to skip this ingredient do to cost.
This is a dish that is commonly enjoyed during holidays or special occasions. In fact, it is a popular dish to have during Chinese New Year (Lunar New Year). Also many of the Dim Sum restaurants will serve this as well.
What Is Chinese Sausage?
What is Chinese Sausage?
Chinese Sausage is something that most Westerners are unfamiliar with.
But in the Asian countries, you’re able to find many different kinds of this type of sausage. With the most common one being the Cantonese version.
This type of sausage basically consists of fresh pork meat and fat, chopped or ground, preserve with seasonings and then left out to dry in the sun. It’s typically uncooked and can last for many months in the fridge.
But depending on which vendor you buy it from, you can even find beef versions or even chicken.
It’s a popular ingredient to use as many different Chinese dishes utilizes this amazing ingredient.
Most Western supermarkets do not carry this product unfortunately. But if you go to any Asian supermarket, you’ll find tons of these being sold.
Ingredients To Make Sticky Rice With Chinese Sausage
The ingredients you’ll need to make Sticky Rice With Chinese Sausage / 腊味糯米饭 are all relatively simple to find.
Basically you’ll need the following:
- Sweet Rice/Glutinous Rice – 2 Cups Uncooked Sweet Rice/Glutinous Rice
- Water – Up To 1 Cup
- Dried Shrimp – 1/4 Cup Dried Shrimp
- Onion – 1/2 Medium Onion
- Dried Shitake Mushrooms – 5 Dried Shitake Mushrooms
- Chinese Sausage – 3 Links Of Chinese Sausage
- Shaoxing Wine – 1 Teaspoon Shaoxing Wine
- Green Onion – 2 Stalks Green Onion
- Toasted Peanuts – 1/3 Cup or 50 Grams Toasted Peanuts
- Ground White Pepper – 1/2 Teaspoon Ground White Pepper
- Salt – 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Vegetable Oil – 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- Sugar – 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- Oyster Sauce – 2 Teaspoon Oyster Sauce
- Soy Sauce – 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- Dark Soy Sauce – 1 Teaspoon Dark Soy Sauce
- Sesame Oil – 1/2 Teaspoon Sesame Oil
And that’s basically it!
How To Make Sticky Rice With Chinese Sausage
Making Sticky Rice With Chinese Sausage / 腊味糯米饭 is a really simple thing to do.
Basically the process to make this dish is as followed:
Prepping The Ingredients
The first step is to start prepping your ingredients.
Grab two small bowls and fill each one with dried shrimp and dried shitake mushrooms. Then add water into the bowls until the contents are fully covered.
Let the dried shrimp and dried shitake mushrooms soak for about an hour or so until they become soft.
During this time, you’ll want to cook your sweet/glutinous rice. My preferred method is to steam it, but you can use whatever method you want. Just make sure to follow the packages instructions to cook the rice properly.
Now while your rice is cooking, its time to make your darkening sauce.
Grab a small bowl and add in your sugar, oyster sauce, soy sauce, dark soy sauce and sesame oil. Then mix it around and set it aside.
Once your dried shrimp and dried shitake mushrooms have become soft and tender, its time to use them.
Scoop them out of the bowls of water and place them onto a cutting board.
(Do not throw out the water)
Then using a knife, chop up the dried shrimp and dried mushrooms until they are chopped into tiny pieces. Then set them aside.
After that, you’ll want to grab your Chinese Sausage links and chop them up into tiny pieces as well. Then set them aside.
Then grab your onion and cut it in half. You’re only going to be using half of an onion. chop it into tiny pieces then set them aside.
Now chop your green onions into tiny pieces and set them aside as well. Then wait for your rice to finish cooking and then it is time to start!
Cooking The Ingredients
Grab a large wok and pour some oil into it over medium heat.
Once the oil is hot enough, add in your toasted peanuts and cook them around for a minute or so.
Once the peanuts are lightly cooked, take them out of the wok and set them aside.
Into the same wok, add a bit more oil and wait till it gets hot enough.
Once the oil is hot, toss in your dried shrimp. Then using a spatula, stir the shrimp around and cook it for a minute or so.
Then toss in your chopped onions, chopped Chinese sausages and chopped mushrooms.
Stir things around again and cook things until things start getting fragrant.
Once the contents are nicely cooked and fragrant, add in your shaoxing wine. Then dump in your entire batch of cooked Sweet/Glutinous rice into the wok.
Using your spatula, break up the rice and stir thing around until everything is completely mixed together.
Now remember your bowl of water that you had soaked your mushrooms in? Using that bowl of water, pour about 1/4 cup of water into the wok so that the contents don’t dry out. Then continue to stir things around.
Note: If its still too dry, you can add a bit more mushroom water into the wok.
After that, add in your darkening sauce. This will include the sugar, oyster sauce, soy sauce, dark soy sauce and sesame oil. Then continue to stir and mix things up.
Once you have mixed everything up, add in your toasted peanuts, ground white pepper, salt and green onions. Then continue to stir things around and mix things up.
Once everything is fully incorporated and combined together, turn off the heat.
Serve onto a plate and enjoy immediately!
How To Store/Keep For Future Eating
Did you know that this Sticky Rice With Chinese Sausage / 腊味糯米饭 dish stores really well?
In fact, if you have any leftovers remaining, then storing this dish for future eating will be a relatively simple thing to do.
Basically all you’ll have to do is cover it up with some plastic wrap or put it in an air-tight container. Then you can store it in the fridge where it should remain well for up to 3 days.
Or if you want to freeze it, you can certainly do so as well. With the same methods as we mentioned earlier, you can simply put it in the freezer where it should remain good for up to 3 months.
As for re-heating, all you’ll have to do is take it out and cook it inside a skillet or a wok over medium-heat. Once the contents are piping hot, then it is ready to serve.
Sticky Rice With Chinese Sausage Recipe (腊味糯米饭)
- 2 Cup Sticky Rice Sticky Rice is basically Glutinous or Sweet Rice
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Dried Shrimp Soaked and chopped into tiny pieces
- 5 Dried Mushrooms (Shitake) Soaked and chopped into tiny pieces
- 1/2 Medium Onion Chopped into tiny pieces
- 3 Chinese Sausages Chopped into tiny pieces
- 1 Teaspoon Shaoxing Wine
- 2 Stalks Green Onions Used for Garnish (Optional)
- 1/3 Cup Toasted Peanut About 50 grams
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground White Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 2 Teaspoon Oyster Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Dark Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sesame Oil
Prepping The Ingredients
- Grab 2 small bowls and put the dried shrimp into one bowl and the dried mushrooms into another bowl. Then pour water into the bowls until it covers the dried shrimp and mushrooms.Let it soak for about 1 hour.
- While you're waiting for the dried shrimp and mushrooms to soak and soften up, cook your sticky rice according to the packages instructions on the back. You can use whatever method you prefer to cook the rice.
- While you're rice is cooking, grab another small bowl. Combine the sugar, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil together. Then set it aside. This will be your darkening sauce.
- Grab a chopping board, and chop your Chinese sausage links into small pieces. Then set it aside.Grab your 1/2 onion and chop it into small pieces, then set it aside.Grab your green onions and chop it into small pieces. Then set it aside.
- Once your dried shrimp and dried mushrooms have become soft and tender, scoop them out of the bowls and put them onto a chopping board. Note: Do not throw away the mushroom water that is leftover from the bowl. You will be using this later.Chop your shrimp and mushrooms into tiny pieces, then set them aside.
Cooking The Food
- Grab a large wok and pour some oil into it over medium-heat.Once the oil is hot enough, add your toasted peanuts into it and cook them around for a minute or so. Then scoop them out and set it aside.
- Pour a bit more oil if needed and then toss in your chopped shrimp. Stir things around and cook it for about a minute or so.Then add in your chopped onions ,chopped Chinese sausage and chopped mushrooms. Stir things around and cook until things start to get fragrant.
- After things are fragrant, add in your shaoxing wine. Then dump in your entire batch of cooked sticky rice into the wok. Using a spatula, break the rice up and stir things around so that everything can combine together nicely.
- Remember that bowl of leftover mushroom water? Use about 1/4 cup of water and pour it into the sticky rice so that the contents don't dry out.Continue to stir things around.
- Now add in your darkening sauce, which is basically your sugar, oyster sauce, soy sauce, dark soy sauce and sesame oil.Continue to stir things around and mix things up.
- Once you have mixed everything up, add in your toasted peanuts, ground white pepper, salt and green onions. Then continue to stir things around and mix things up.
- Now turn the heat off.Serve onto a plate and enjoy immediately.
Did you try making my Sticky Rice With Chinese Sausage / 腊味糯米饭? If so, how were they? I would love to hear all about it down in the comment section below or you can connect with my on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram.
Want more recipes? You can check out my site for more amazing recipes!