Vietnamese Chicken Ragu or Ga Ragu, is a very popular dish to make if you are wanting something fast and simple to eat. It uses chicken wings and thighs combined with some veggies that is then cooked in a tasty tomato broth. This results in a flavorful dish that is out of this world and is the perfect meal to have any time of the day.
Vietnamese Chicken Ragu
One of the worst things that can ever happen in the kitchen is if you ever find yourself having an excess amount of chicken. Many of which are still unused and raw.
So what are you suppose to do?
Well fear not everyone! For there is a really tasty dish that can utilize these leftover chicken pieces to make a dish that is out of this world. Known as “Vietnamese Chicken Ragu” or Ga Ragu, it is a popular dish in Vietnam that is generally made with leftover chicken.
This dish is extremely flavorful and is packed with tons of nutrition.
Vietnamese Chicken Ragu basically consists of the chicken meat, potatoes, carrots and anything else you can think of. It’s basically a poor man’s stew that has been transformed into pure elegance.
Now in my family, we generally don’t eat this dish often because we always find ourselves using all of the chicken meat that we buy. However on the rare occasions where we do find ourselves having some excess chicken, then this is one dish that we will usually make.
It’s a simple dish that takes under an hour to make and will be filling enough to feed the entire family. One bite and you and your entire family will instantly be hooked.
Why This Recipe Works?
- This recipe is extremely healthy to eat. It’s filled with delicious chicken meat as well as some vegetables that will make for some perfect nutrition for your body.
- By cooking low and slow, it ensures that all the flavors and seasonings get combined together to bring forth a dish that is out of this world.
- This recipe is extremely simple to make. All you need is about an hour or less and you’ll be able to make a whole pot full of delicious chicken and vegetables for your family to enjoy.
Ingredients To Make Vietnamese Chicken Ragu
The ingredients you’ll need to make Vietnamese Chicken Ragu / Ga Ragu can all be found at your local Asian supermarket.
Basically, you’ll need the following:
- Chicken – 2 Pounds of Chicken Wings/Thighs
- Potatoes – 2 Potatoes Cut Into Small Pieces
- Carrots – 2 Carrots Cut Into Small Pieces
- Corn – 1 Corn Cut Into 3 sections
- Garlic – 4 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- Onion – 1 Onion (Diced)
- Vegetable Oil – 2 Tablespoon of Vegetable Oil
- Tomato Paste – 1 Small Can of Tomato Paste (170g)
- Chicken Broth – 4 Cups of Chicken Broth
- Salt – 2 Teaspoon of Salt
- Ground White Pepper – 2 Teaspoon of Ground White Pepper
- Sugar – 1 1/2 Tablespoon of Sugar
- Chicken Bouillon Powder – 1 Tablespoon of Chicken Bouillon Powder
How To Make Vietnamese Chicken Ragu
Making Vietnamese Chicken Ragu / Ga Ragu is a very simple thing to do.
Basically, the process to make this dish is as followed:
Making The Vietnamese Chicken Ragu
Pour some oil into a large wok or pot and put it over the stove on medium-high heat.
Once the oil is hot enough, add in your diced onions and minced garlic. Stir things around for a minute or so until fragrant.
Then add in your Chicken Wings/Thighs and stir things around. Let it cook for about a minute.
Then add in your Tomato Paste and stir things around. Make sure all the chicken meat is covered with that tomato paste. Let it cook for another minute while stirring things around.
Now you’ll want to add in your chopped potatoes, carrots and corn. Mix things around real fast.
Then add in your chicken broth. Stir everything around for a bit.
Now you’ll want to add in your seasonings (salt, ground white pepper, sugar and chicken bouillon powder). Once you added that in, stir things around and bring the heat up to high so that it can start boiling.
Once the contents start to boil, lower the heat down to medium and then cover the wok or pot with a lid. Let it cook for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is nice and tender and the vegetables have become soft.
After the time is up, turn off the heat.
How To Store/Keep For Future Eating
Storing this Vietnamese Chicken Ragu / Ga Ragu dish is a very simple thing to do.
Basically, if you ever find yourself having any leftovers remaining, then all you’ll need to do is to simply cover it up with some plastic wrap. You can also place it inside of an air-tight container if you want as well. Then just simply place it in the fridge where it should keep well for up to 3 days.
As for freezing, you’ll be happy to know that this dish is also able to be frozen really well too. Basically just pour the entire contents into an air-tight container, then place it inside the freezer. It should keep well for up to 3 months.
As for re-heating, all you’ll have to do is to take it out of the fridge or freezer and cook it inside of a wok or pot over medium-high heat until it is nice and hot again. Then you can eat it as if it was newly made.
FAQS About This Recipe
This dish is a very versatile dish. You can use any parts of the chicken that you want. You can even use boneless chicken if you have that as well. Anything goes for this recipe!
Of course! You can add whatever you want inside this dish. Whether it be broccoli or peppers or anything else, I guarantee everything will taste amazing.
In all honesty, the traditional way uses water instead with some chicken powder, but in my opinion, chicken broth adds way more flavor. But if you don’t want to use chicken broth, you can use water or any other broth that you might like.
Tips For Making The Best Vietnamese Chicken Ragu
- Use Chicken Broth instead of water. In the traditional method, typically water is used as the base for the broth. However in my opinion, by using chicken broth instead, it provides a much more richer and delicious flavor that brings this dish to life.
- Chop your vegetables into small sizes. By letting your vegetables be chopped up into smaller sizes, it’ll ensure that they get cooked thoroughly and will be easier to eat.
- If you want your Chicken Ragu to be a little bit on the spicier side of things, you can simply add in a few chili peppers. Although this is totally optional.
Vietnamese Chicken Ragu Recipe (Ga Ragu)
- 2 Pound Chicken Wings/Thighs
- 2 Potato Chopped Into Small Pieces
- 2 Carrots Chopped Into Small Pieces
- 1 Corn Cut Into 3 Sections
- 4 Clove Garlic Minced
- 1 Medium Onion Diced
- 2 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 170 Gram Tomato Paste About 1 Small Can
- 4 Cup Chicken Broth
- 2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Chicken Bouillon Powder
- Grab a wok or pot and pour some oil into it over medium-high heat.Once the oil is hot enough, add in your minced garlic and diced onions. Stir things around and cook it for about a minute.
- Add in your chicken wings/thighs and stir things around. Cook it for another minute or so.
- Add in your tomato paste and stir things around.Add in your corn, potatoes and carrots. Stir things around for a bit.Pour in your chicken broth and then add in all of the seasonings (Ground White Pepper, Salt, Sugar, Chicken Bouillon Powder).Stir everything together until it is all combined nicely.
- Bring the heat up to high and wait till the contents start to boil.Once it starts to boil, lower the heat to medium and cover the wok or pot with a lid. Let it cook for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is nicely cooked and the vegetables have become soft.
- Once time is up, turn off the heat.Serve immediately.
Did you try making my Vietnamese Chicken Ragu / Ga Ragu? If so, how were they? I would love to hear all about it down in the comment section below or you can connect with my on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram.
Want more recipes? You can check out my site for more amazing recipes!