Vietnamese Ginger Chicken or gà kho gừng, is a type of chicken dish that is beloved all throughout Vietnam. It combines the essence and flavor of ginger mixed with a sweet caramel sauce that coats the chicken extremely well. It’s super simple to make and can be done in a short amount of time. This dish is the perfect dish to have anytime of the year.
Vietnamese Ginger Chicken
Every family I know always has some sort of chicken recipe that they love to make. And depending on the day, some recipes are made only during holidays while some other recipes are made just for any other regular occurrence.
And in my family, whenever we want something quick and simple to eat, our go-to recipe is always going to be something called “Vietnamese Ginger Chicken” or Gà Kho Gừng if you know Vietnamese.
It’s a dish that can be made in only a short amount of time, usually an hour or less. Plus, it uses very few ingredients, most of which can be found inside your pantry. But even though it’s simple and fast to make, the flavors that come with this dish is absolutely fantastic.
The meat of the chicken is also extremely tender and juicy, literally falling of the bone type of meat. You will be pleasantly surprised by the end result in how amazing this chicken turns out to be.
But one of the best things about this dish to know is that it is extremely healthy to eat. It helps provides all the nutrients your body can ever want.
So if you’re looking for a chicken dish that is extremely flavorful while also being simple and fast to make, then look no further!
This Vietnamese Ginger Chicken dish is going to be the highlight of your day!
What Is Vietnamese Ginger Chicken
What is Vietnamese Ginger Chicken / Gà Kho Gừng you might ask?
Well it’s a dish originating from the country of Vietnam that combines the flavor of ginger and chicken together. It is one of the healthiest dishes you can ever try.
Basically, you have your chicken marinate together with some seasonings and sauces to give it a nice rich flavor. Then you cook it inside a caramel sauce combined with lots of ginger. This will give it a sweet yet peppery taste that everyone seems to love.
It’s the perfect dish to have any time of the year as the ingredients are always able to be found in any local supermarket.
Plus, it’s a dish that is extremely simple to make and takes only about an hour for you to make the entire dish. Definitely a good dish to serve especially if you are low on time and need something quick and fast.
Why This Recipe Works?
- By marinating the chicken first, you are ensuring that the chicken will soak in all the flavorful spices and seasonings which will make the end result taste so much better.
- By using ginger as the main component, you are adding in a peppery yet sweet flavor that combines really well with the chicken.
- This dish is incredibly healthy to eat as you have the nutrients of the chicken combined with the ginger, garlic and shallots which all provides some nutritional health benefits that the body will love.
Ingredients To Make Vietnamese Ginger chicken
The Ingredients you’ll need to make Vietnamese Ginger Chicken / Gà Kho Gừng can all be easily found at any of your local Asian supermarkets.
Basically, you’ll need the following:
- Chicken Wings/Legs – 2 LB of Chicken Wings or Legs
- Chicken Bouillon Powder – 1 Teaspoon Chicken Bouillon Powder
- Sugar – 2 Tablespoon Sugar
- Salt – 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Ground Black Pepper – 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- Oyster Sauce – 2 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
- Fish Sauce – 1 1/2 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
- Garlic – 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- Ginger – 50 grams (4 to 5 Tablespoons) of Ginger Thinly Sliced
- Shallot – Half of a Medium Sized Shallot
- Vegetable Oil – 3 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
- Sugar – 2 Tablespoons of Sugar
- Chicken Broth – 1 1/2 Cup of Chicken Broth (Can use Coconut Soda if you want too)
How To Make Vietnamese Ginger Chicken
Making Vietnamese Ginger Chicken is a relatively simple thing to do.
Basically the process to make this dish is as followed:
Marinate The Chicken
First thing you’ll want to do is marinate the chicken.
So grab a large bowl or pot and put your chicken inside. Then pour in your Chicken Bouillon Powder, Sugar, Salt, Black Pepper, Oyster Sauce and Fish Sauce. Mix the chicken around with the seasonings until all of the chicken is nicely coated.
Let it rest for about 30 minutes.
Cooking The Chicken
After your chicken has fully marinated inside the seasonings, then it’s time to cook it.
Grab a large wok and pour some oil into it over medium heat.
Once the oil is hot enough, you’ll want to pour in your sugar. Stir things around until the sugar starts to change color. At this point, the sugar may clump together which is totally normal. Keep stirring until you see the sugar change into a brown color.
Once the sugar becomes brown, add into the wok your minced garlic, thinly sliced ginger, and minced shallots. Stir things around until they have softened up and have become fragrant.
Now add in your chicken wings/legs. Stir things around and cook the chicken until they are nicely browned on all sides. This should take 7 to 10 minutes.
After that, add in your chicken broth and stir things around. Turn the heat up to high and bring the contents to a boil. Once it is boiling, turn the heat down to a medium simmer and cover the wok with a lid.
Let it cook for about 30 minutes.
Once time is up, turn off the heat.
Scoop out the chicken and some broth into a large plate or bowl.
Serve the chicken with a bowl of rice and enjoy!
How To Store/Keep For Future Eating
After you have finished making this Vietnamese Ginger Chicken / Gà Kho Gừng dish, you’ll be pleased to know that it is easily able to be stored for future eatings.
All you have to do is simply cover it up with some plastic wrap or you can store it inside of an air-tight container. Then place it in the fridge where it should be good for up to 3 days.
The same thing can be done to where you want to freeze this dish as well. Simply place it inside of an air-tight container and store it inside of the freezer where it should be good for up to 3 months.
As for reheating, simply put the chicken back onto the stove over medium-high heat. Then cook it around until it is nicely hot and then it is ready to serve.
FAQS About This Recipe
Yes, you can! This dish is extremely versatile. It doesn’t matter if you use chicken wings or chicken legs or maybe even chicken breasts and more, the end result will taste absolutely fantastic.
In theory, yes you can. You can most likely use duck or anything else that closely resembles chicken to make this dish.
Yes, Vietnamese Ginger Chicken is extremely healthy to eat. By using a bunch of ginger in the dish, you’ll be provided with a lot of health benefits that are good for your body.
Tips For Making The Best Vietnamese Ginger Chicken
- Do not rush the process. Let it cook at a low temperature so that the chicken can be cooked thoroughly. This will make sure your chicken comes out incredibly juicy and tender.
- Give it time to marinate! The longer you let your chicken marinate in the seasonings will help provide it with a much more flavorful impact.
- Make sure to cut your ginger into thin strips so that it’ll be easier to mix around the entire dish.
Vietnamese Ginger Chicken Recipe (Gà Kho Gừng)
- 2 Lb Chicken Wings or Legs
- 1 Teaspoon Chicken Bouillon Powder
- 2 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 3 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 4 Tablespoon Ginger Thinly Sliced
- 1/2 Medium Shallot Minced
Marinating Your Chicken
- Grab a large bowl or pot and mix together your chicken wings/legs with the Chicken Bouillon Powder, Sugar, Salt, Ground Black Pepper, Oyster Sauce and Fish Sauce. Mix it together thoroughly and then set it aside.Let it rest for about 30 minutes.
Cooking The Chicken
- Grab a large wok and pour some vegetable oil into it over medium heat.Once the oil gets hot enough, add in the sugar. Then stir things around until it starts to clump up. This is normal. Continue to stir things around until the sugar starts to change color into a brown syrup type color.
- Once the sugar becomes a brown color, add in your minced garlic, minced shallots and sliced ginger. then cook it around until they get soft and things get fragrant.
- Now add in your chicken wings/legs and stir things around. You want to cook the chicken wings for about 10 minutes or until it is nicely coated and turned into a brown color on all sides.
- Pour in your chicken broth and stir things around. Turn the heat up to high and bring the broth to a boil. Once it is boiling, turn the heat down to a low simmer. Cover the wok with a lid and let it cook for about 30 minutes.
- Once time is up, turn off the heat.Transfer the chicken wings/legs onto a plate.Serve with some rice and enjoy!
Did you try making my Vietnamese Ginger Chicken / Gà Kho Gừng? If so, how were they? I would love to hear all about it down in the comment section below or you can connect with my on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram.
Want more recipes? You can check out my site for more amazing recipes!